Williams-Gores Funeral Home
Henton Funeral Home 1923-1954
Royce and Mary Henton came to Delton in 1923 from Nashville, Michigan and opened a funeral business at the present location on East Orchard Street in a residential home. Prior to this, funerals were conducted in churches or private homes.
Royce Henton also operated a barber shop in a building on South Grove Street (second building from the right in the above photo from 1928).
Funerals were held in the funeral home beginning in the late 1930's and early 1940's. The Henton's added living quarters to the back of the funeral home in 1945.
Henton-Smith Funeral Home 1954-1965
After WWII, Ivan Smith had married the middle daughter of Royce and Mary Henton. Ivan attended Cincinnati College of Embalming and joined his father-in-law in the family funeral business. Royce Henton passed away in 1954 and Ivan Smith became the sole owner (Henton-Smith Funeral Home).
Williams Funeral Home 1965-1999
Ivan Smith sold the funeral home to Bob and Pat Williams on October 1, 1965. Bob and Pat operated the business for 34 years, until May 1, 1999.
Ambulance service was offered for many years by the Henton-Smith Funeral Home and this service was continued by Bob Williams with the help of the Delton Volunteer Fireman from 1965-1975. Also assisting Bob with the ambulance and funeral service were Lynn and Delores Stedge from 1965-1972, and Wilbur and Mary Sager from 1972 to present.
Williams-Gores Funeral Home 1999-present
John & Pam Gores purchased the business from Bob Williams on May 1, 1999.
The Gores are continuing another "tradition" at the funeral home. John and Pam are raising two daughters, Elizabeth and Emily here. Since 1923, this brings the total to 10 daughters have been raised in the funeral home.
Previous daughters included: 3 Henton girls, Maxine (Knowlton) Hawks, Marquita (Henton) Smith, and Mary Marie Townsend; 2 Smith girls, Cathy (Smith) Lozen and Deb (Smith) Truax; and 3 Williams girls, Kathy Roberts, Kristine Wolverton, and Beth Cravens.